The Norfolk Lions Club was chartered in 1921. The club is the third oldest in the state. It’s charter lists 30 members. The early years are rather obscured, but around the 1940s to 1950s a rather interesting group of Lions became known as the Lionaires.
The Lionaires put on a program each year at the city auditorium. On 3 nights they dressed up in ladies and mens clothes and performed skits. Lions Bill Meisinger, Keith Roll, Dr. Jack James and Max Leu were just a few of the performers. They even had their own combo. This was the club’s main fundraiser during those years.
Around 1960 the club embarked on a new fundraiser, the Norfolk Lions Pancake Feed. Aunt Jamima came to show them how to fix her famous pancakes. Lion Bill Meisinger was President and was instrumental in getting things started.
In the 1970s the club was the largest in the state, 135 members — all business men of the city.
The club has tried many fundraisers over the years. A chili feed at the National Guard Armory, selling light bulbs door-to-door, shot gun raffles and football ticket raffles. The profit from these programs goes to the Charity Fund. From this fund the club donates it back to the community.